Re: question about dns server at home

Jordi wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I would like to ask questions about DNS servers:
>
> 1) What is needed to host my own domain name at home? Do I need 2
> static public ip? Or just one? If I need 2, do I need 2 dsl
> connections?

Two IPs, though most registries and many registrars require that these two
IPs be on seperate networks.

There are tricks to work around this, but they are not recommended and
violate some registrars terms of registration and could get your domain
pulled.  I leave these as an excersize to the reader.

You're better off teaming up with someone else who has a domain and is doing
it themselves and hosting each other's secondary DNS servers.

> 2) Does it consume many resources? Is the access to my web server
> faster or slower if I host my domain name in it than having others
> doing it?

Resources consumed is epsilon for small sites.