Re: question about dns server at home

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:00:07PM +0000, David Hart wrote:

> Perhaps I've misunderstood the OPs questions but if he means hosting his
> own domain within the public address space (.org, .com etc.) then he
> will need publicly accessible static IPs.

No.  You only need static IPs to have your own nameservers.  You can
have a domain on dynamic IPs.  That how you can use a service like
DynDNS, with a client like ddns (IIRC), to have a domain name associated
with your dynamic IP.  So, for example, you can have foobar.homunix.com
and have it point to your machine.  Now, DynDNS has to host the DNS for
you since you have dynamic IPs.  But they only charge you if you want
your own second-level domain (i.e., something under .org, .net, .com,
.cc and so on).  If you choose a hostname in one of their zones, they
will do it for free for up to five host names.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez