Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 02:02:44PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/26/07 13:40, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> And my kids don't go to public school.
> >>
> >> I'm probably the only atheist in a 3 state region to send his
> >> children to Parochial school.
> >>

> > interesting. I'm one of many athiests in a 3 state region to be driven
> > to athiesm by parochial school... hmmm...
>
> Heh.
>
> My 9yo son knows that I don't believe in God, but my wife and
> mother's side of the family do, so he may have forgotten.  I don't
> bring it up much, and even when I did, I still told him that he had
> to learn Religion.
>
> That'll give him the firm understanding of religion that he'll need
> in order to see how foolish it is.

I find, in some cases, parochial schools are great because you *can*
talk about religion and have these discussions with teachers and other
students without the fear of being shutdown that you sometimes get in
public schools. And woah, if you want a really good debate on just
about anything, have a few beers with some jesuits. Its pretty
amazing. They'll talk about anything with great intelligence from just
about any perspective. At least that's been my experience.