Re: Run out of disk space on LVM

On 25.02.07 15:20, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Out of curiousity, why do you recommend merging / and /usr?  I
> personally think that being able to grow them independently is rather
> convenient.

I don't see any reason for splitting them and I don't think admins should
split partition without a reason. It just makes more problems with full
filesystems, this thread describes the case :)

I see good reason for separate /var and /home (different mount options,
using quota) and in some cases for separate /boot (root on LVM, or bios
incapable of addressing big disks), but separate /usr is rarely a usefull
option.

afaik separate /usr was intentionally used long time ago, when systems were
booting from small (even floppy) disks, where small root with basic
utilities was mounted (drivers loaded), and then /usr was mounted with
necessary options.
My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.