have I messed up package management?

In another thread ("sound problems on debian"), I explained that my new etch
installation didn't drive my Intel onboard sound card.  It was suggested that
I try upgrading from source from alsa-1.0.13 to alsa-1.0.14.  I've done this
and have sound now but wonder what kind of pain will be ahead with the
package-management system.

What I did was to put in alsa-base 1.0.14-rc1 from Debian experimental and
alsa-lib and alsa-driver 1.0.14rc2 from source.  I made deb files of these
two but couldn't install them that way because of conflicts.  I tried
checkinstall from unstable as well as dpkg -i.

I'm a little worried what sort of mess I'll have when it comes time to
upgrade any of the debian packages involved.  dpkg still shows libasound2
1.0.13-1 installed, but many of those files were overwritten by the install
of alsa-lib from source.  alsa-driver replaced files from the package
linux-image-2.6.18-3-686 and a couple of others.  I did save archives of the
original files but don't know if that will be enough.

Am I likely to have a mess on my hands upgrading any of the packages
involved?  Thanks.