2.6.20

If you follow 'kerneltrap.org', 2.6.19 and 2.6.20 are bug-ridden.  2.6.19 shipped with bugs and 2.6.20 hasn't worked them all out yet. But if you enjoy playing with the latest 'git' data, this is what happens.  I usually wait until a released version is a few weeks old before I decide to play with it.  Also, read the help text while configuring the kernel and read the docs in Documentation/ - you may just be suffering little problems because the devs haven't quite got the module dependencies right in the script.  You can also try to cut out that entire network section in the .config file then attempt a config/compile - you will be asked all those network questions again; this can work if the old settings somehow confuse the new scripts.