Re: Address-less ethernet interface

On 23/02/07 17:40, Scott Reese wrote:

Hello Scott,

I don't need any IP address on eth0, but I need it to be up. I can manually run "ifconfig eth0 up", but I can't figure out how to do this automatically at boot time. I have tried to put in the following in /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0
iface eth0

However, ifup complains about incomplete parameters. Does anyone know the correct way to solve this problem? Please keep in mind that I can already do this from an /etc/rc.local script or somesuch, but I consider those kind of solutions to be a hack, and I prefer to do things the way "proper" way, ie. using the distro's scripts.

in /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

The manual method is described in the manpage "interfaces"

Thank you for your advice.

The "manual" method is not described in the man page for "interfaces" on this system that I have. It may be because it's running Debian 3.0. I will probably use some kind of entry in /etc/rc.boot to get this working at boot time.

Regards,

--
Anand