Re: How to upgrade a GeForce Nvidia on a Debian system?

J F wrote:
> How to upgrade a GeForce Nvidia AGP on a Debian system?
>
> I was wondering if apt-get install grub or similar would help?
>
> Does acceleration on Nvidia work now?
>
> Am I better off using a different chipset due to drivers?
>
> I'm upgrading from a SIS305 32MB board running in debian to
> this
> GeForce Nvidia AGP with 256MB.
>
> Thanks in advance,

It shouldn't be a problem. When I added my GeForce FX 5700LE, it was
automatically detected (checked with lspci). To enable 3D acceleration
you can install nvidia driver using the module-assistant method (see
link below). After that you install nvidia module I think you will have
to run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (Etch).

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers?highlight=%28nvidia%29#head-da25e4acfc1b456e21717d2178b938ba4306e9cd

You can also use the nv module (free) by just reconfiguring Xorg if you
don't want to use the proprietary nvidia drivers.

HTH,
/KS