Re: problem searching packages

Le vendredi 23 février 2007 16:02, Michael M. a écrit :
[...]
> Oh now I see!  It does indicate the status of the package, just somewhat
> cryptically:  "ii", "un", etc.

Yes ;-) Not obvious if no-one said it to you !

In fact, if dpkg has nether see the package (previously installed, remove or
purge), dpkg -l doesn't show you anything.

Example :
gilles@guitare:~$ dpkg -l openoffice.org-hyphenation-de
Aucun paquet ne correspond à openoffice.org-hyphenation-de.

The package exist :
gilles@guitare:~$ aptitude search openoffice.org-hyphenation-de
p   openoffice.org-hyphenation-de                  - German hyphenation
patterns for OpenOffice.org

gilles@guitare:~$ sudo aptitude install openoffice.org-hyphenation-de
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
[...]

gilles@guitare:~$ dpkg -l openoffice.org-hyphenation-de
Souhait=inconnU/Installé/suppRimé/Purgé/H=à garder
| État=Non/Installé/fichier-Config/dépaqUeté/échec-conFig/H=semi-installé
|/ Err?=(aucune)/H=à garder/besoin Réinstallation/X=les deux (État,Err:
majuscule=mauvais)
||/ Nom                   Version               Description
+++-=====================-=====================-==========================================================
ii  openoffice.org-hyphen 2.0.4~rc1-3           German hyphenation patterns
for OpenOffice.org

Here we see it.

I purge it.
gilles@guitare:~$ sudo aptitude purge openoffice.org-hyphenation-de
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances... Fait
[...]

gilles@guitare:~$ dpkg -l openoffice.org-hyphenation-de
Souhait=inconnU/Installé/suppRimé/Purgé/H=à garder
| État=Non/Installé/fichier-Config/dépaqUeté/échec-conFig/H=semi-installé
|/ Err?=(aucune)/H=à garder/besoin Réinstallation/X=les deux (État,Err:
majuscule=mauvais)
||/ Nom                   Version               Description
pn  openoffice.org-hyphen <néant>              (aucune description n'est
disponible)

Now, dpkg knows the package, and knows that it is purged.