Re: Command Line (was Re: a dumb query? pls humor me)

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 14:15 -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 11:02 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > check out update-alternatives in order to change that... I think.
> >
> >     Only if ya want the change system wide.  Easier to just set the variable
> > in your shell's login script.
> >
> >     Related dumb question, is there a gui tool for setting alternatives?  As
> > nice as it is I so rarely deal with it every time I have to install a new
> > Debian (or dirivative) machine it takes me a good Google search to figure out
> > how to tell Thunderbird I really want to use Firefox as my browser.  :(
>
> In GNOME it is "Preferred Applications".
>
> In XFCEv4.4 it is "Preferred Applications".

In Gnome, at least, using "Preferred Applications" to set your preferred
browser will not override the setting in alternatives.  Which can be
very frustrating when you don't know that the whole "Debian
alternatives" thing even exists.

IMO, this is a little fly in Debian's or Gnome's ointment.  If you are
going to provide a "Preferences" menu and an item there called
"Preferred Applications" that purports to allow the user to select a
default browser, then it ought to work.  Otherwise, don't bother.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions