Re: The Planet / Debian Install

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 07:27:37AM -0800, SM wrote:
> On Feb 21, 1:50 pm, Andrew Sackville-West
> <and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 06:31:59AM -0800, SM wrote:
> > > I just ordered some new servers at The Planet (formally EV1) ... and
> > > asked about having Debian installed on my servers.  They are saying
> > > that Debian is unsupported due to the following reason:
> >
> > > "The latest release of Debian is out of date and doesn't work well
> > > with newer servers."
> >
> > that is probably a true statement with the latest stable release,
> > sarge, being about two years old.
> >

> > > Being new to Debian I have no clue ... but I'm wondering if anyone
> > > knows of an innate incompatability between Debian a server with the
> > > following description:
> >
> > > 1       Dell \ Dual socket dempsy/woodcrest/cloverton \ PowerEdge
> > > 1900/2900
> > > 2       Intel \ 2.0 GHz 1333FSB - Woodcrest \ Xeon 5130 (Dual Core)
> > > 1       Unknown \ Onboard \ SATA
> >
> >                              ^^^^^
> > probably this is the issue   |||||
> >
> > sarge doesn't have good SATA support. However, the *next* release, etch, is
> > due out any time now (april maybe?) and it *does* have good SATA
> > support. Also, etch is now pretty stable and is really close to ready
> > -- maybe they would install etch for you?
> >
> > > 2       Western Digital \ 250GB:SATA2:7200RPM \ WD2500JS
> >
> > > If I attempt to install Debian myself will I have trouble with this
> > > setup?  Their server "Welcome" email indicated that ...
> >
> > I don't think so. What are the rest of the specs? (chipsets, MOBO
> > etc). YOu could check compatibility athttp://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/index.cgiprovided the vendor is willing to
> > give you the lspci output.
> >
> > the rest (IPMI), I've not a clue about. ymmv.
> > 1KDownload
>
> Thanks for the feedback ... is Etch stable enough for production
> servers yet?  Is it easy to upgrade once the stable release comes out?

*I* think so, but then I don't have any servers in production. There
 is security support already for etch, so that surely helps. YOu'll
 have to research this and determine what your comfort level is.

As far as the upgrade, if youstart out by installing etch then
upgrading to etch will be... heh... trivial.