Re: disappearing device files

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 09:56 -0500, Steve Kleene wrote:
> When I tested gnome on my recent etch install, I noticed that it mounted my
> USB flash drive on /dev/sdc1.  So when I run from a command line under fvwm
> (most of the time), I also mount the flash on sdc1.  So that I wouldn't have
> to remember the drive name, I did the following:
>
>   cd /dev; ln -s /dev sdc1 flash
>
> I've done this for years, and it works fine.  Now, though, every time I boot,
> the /dev/flash link disappears.  And recently, /dev/sdc1 disappeared too.
> Now if I recreate sdc1 with mknod, it functions fine, but it disappears after
> any reboot.  There are plenty of other symbolic links that came with the
> system (e.g. cdrom -> hda), and they don't disappear.
>
> What's going on?  Are device files checked against some official registry and
> deleted if they're unrecognized?

HAL and UDEVD.

They auto create and remove device files as needed. If you want a
symlink for "flash" you will need to read up on how to write rules for
the system... right now its ugly in my opinion... but doable.

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Hope this helps.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net