Re: Installing TeX/LaTeX in Sarge

Hi again, Michelle.

I think that, for such a long document (2500 pages, 11 volumes), LaTeX
makes very good sense.  Using the LaTeX "\include" directive, you
could keep each volume in a separate file, and yet LaTeX would process
the set of files as one large document.

And LaTeX provides valuable features such as chapter-level tables of
contents, automated generation of an index, and automated generation
of a bibliography.

Converting the DVI output of LaTeX to PDF is easy and trouble-free,
even for very long documents.

You should read the introduction to the hyperlatex manual for a
discussion of the considerations involved when writing a single
document which is to be displayed in multiple formats.

If you needed only HTML, then XML or SGML might be a reasonable
approach.  But if you need PDF as well as HTML, I think it would be
very difficult to produce satisfactory PDF documents from XML or SGML.

RLH