/dev/sda1 --> /dev/hda1 ???

Hi Debian gurus,

I've just taken the plunge and compiled my own kernel -- 2.6.20.1 -- to
reconcile a problem with buggy sound drivers.  (Now granted that the
last time I compiled a linux kernel, it was for version 1.2.13, but I
followed the instructions and got a pair of *.deb packages.  Kudos to
all documentation writers out there!)  After installing said kernel, I
found that I couldn't boot.  A little more tweaking and I found that in
order to boot, I had to change:

   root=/dev/sda1

to:

   root=/dev/hda1

Um...  Is this bad or something?  Why does /dev/sda1 not work for my
custom kernel when it works for the distribution kernel?  Did I set
something wrong in my kernel config file?  (I also found that if I run
update-grub, it wants to change it back to /dev/sda1.)

Trying to understand, thanks for your help!

Michael Peek