Re: aptitude: recall broken packages

On (19/02/07 22:08), Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Being broken (i.e. having an unfulfilled dependency, pre-dependency, or
> conflict) is a property of the package itself and should not depend on
> the package manager. The package manager, on the other hand, can help
> you to resolve breakages that occur, for example, during an upgrade.
> The thing to keep in mind with aptitude is that it will list packages as
> broken if the currently scheduled actions would leave them in a broken
> state; this does not mean that they are already broken at the moment.
>
> I think the following happened in your case: You made aptitude believe
> (maybe inadvertently) that you wanted to upgrade or newly install
> certain packages. This would have broken some packages so aptitude
> pointed this out and probably offered several options to resolve the
> resulting problems (e.g. by removing packages which conflict with the
> new packages/versions). You then canceled all operations by running
> "aptitude keep-all" (or its equivalent from the interactive menu) and
> your system remained in the consistent (non-broken) state that it had
> been in all the time.
>
> If you want to see again what aptitude wants to do to your computer you
> can try "aptitude upgrade", "aptitude dist-upgrade" or "U" + "g" in
> interactive mode. (Remember: "aptitude keep-all" is your friend when
> things get scary.)
>
> To find out if you currently have any broken packages on your system you
> can run
>
> aptitude search '~b'

Thanks Florian

This is very useful; I'm reasonably familiar with aptitude and have kept
myself out of trouble, running sid, as a result.  This is the second
useful explanation you've posted recently on aptitude; you've helped my
understanding and provided clear guidance to those who worry about
aptitude removing half their system.

Regards

Clive

--