Re: ALT key doesn't work as before

Manu Hack wrote:
> On 2/18/07, Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:
>
>> Most likely this is Xorg related.  Try running:
>>
>> dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>>
>> Make sure you choose the correct keyboard settings, for example:
>>
>> altwin:metawin
>>
>> After you finish have it create a new Xorg.conf file and then restart X.
>>
>> Joe
>
> I tried to reconfigure but I would like to know how to add the option
> altwin:metawin?  After reconfiguring, it still could fix it.

1) You don't need to cc me, I read the list.

2) When you run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg it will run the script
that configures Xorg.conf.  It is much like a wizard which will ask a
series of questions about your hardware, such as video card, mouse and
keyboard.  All of which Xorg uses to control your Xsession.  The
information available on the screen when it is asking the question
should be enough to guide you to the input the correct answers.  If you
can't get it to work right, you can always post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file here and one of the experts will explain how to fix it.

The relevant section in this case is the InputDevice for your keyboard.
 Mine looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "altwin:metawin"
EndSection

See the altwin:metawin?

I can't be sure that your keyboard is the same, but in most cases that
setup works for keyboards designed to work with Windows (at least the
English version).  There are literally hundreds of different designs of
keyboards, so it's impossible to know exactly what you have.