Re: Changing public IP Address

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 01:43:13PM -0700, Travis Crook wrote:
> the old address traffic
> 3) Create new DNS records for all domains that I host to point to the
> new IP address
> 4) Pray it all works!

Immediately lower the TTL for all domains that are hosted on your
server!  If you don't, it could take a week or more (depending on the
current TTL) for the caches around the world to expire.  Personally, I
think the best approach is to lower the TTL and then wait at least as
long as the time of the old TTL before switching stuff around.  I would
set the new TTL to about 1 hour.

Regards,

-Roberto

--