Re: Woody on 486 problem

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 08:39 -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 10:43:26AM +0100, Mirko Scurk wrote:
> >
> > Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> > >  Ha! Remember when computers meant handing over a deck of punch cards
> > >  to feed to a Soviet-made IBM-360 EC1030 with manuals in Russian, and
> > >  coming back the next week to learn that you forgot to start your
> > >  comment on column 6 of the card 134, and so there was no output?
> > >
> > >         manoj
> >
> > What about IBM 1130 - my first computer on University. Or, my god, when I
> > firs time saw MicroPDP-11!
> >
> > Its amazing how we regulary suck-seed to slip into OT!
> >
> > --
> > Mirko Scurk
>
> I remember when I got to use a machine without the regular RAM we all
> take for granted now;  main memory was a magnetic drum with tracks of
> 108 29-bit words.  The length of a loop was quantized to be a multiple
> of time for a complete drum revolution.

You had to make sure the programs were ready to read the data at the
right time or it would be slow, having to wait for the drum to come
around again.

I knew a guy(1) that could make nearly any program work faster as he
optimized them to read and be ready to read when the data was able to be
read. He counted and re-organized the programs for execution according
to the drum rotation. He was paid more than the anyone at Zenith... even
the CEO. I don't remember his name, but he was a very modest man, giving
an excess income to charity (which was most of it).

(1) == Well, knew is relative. my Dad worked with him at Heath in the
Early 70's, my Dad and I met him regularly on Saturday morning for
breakfast at Hilltop <something> Restaurant in St. Joesph, MI. The
restaurant was east of "Cleveland and Hilltop" over the railroad tracks.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup