Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

Sergio Cuéllar Valdés wrote:
2007/2/15, Siju George <sgeorge.ml@gmail.com>:

Hi,

maybe you should read about LVM [1]. It is not about file systems, but
it can help you :)

I'd rather deal with a case of the Clap.

LVM is worse than useless for most installations. It makes
the entire file system dependent on every drive in the Logical
Volume working. If any drive fails, then the entire FS becomes
corrupt. As you may know, as the number of devices goes up,
the MTBF goes down drastically, and the probability of failure
goes up dramatically. If one has a largish RAID, then LVM makes
sense, but without RAID or some other error correcting ability,
LVM makes the likelihood of a file system failure increase, and
makes the likelihood of recovery from it decrease, since the
normal recovery tools won't work.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.