Re: Smells like Debian spirit

On Thu February 15 2007 09:12, ciol wrote:
> Hello, I'm a bit confused about debian.
> I believe that its main characteristics are: quality, freefom *and* 100%
> voluntary. So I wonder with Dunc Tank and the fact that Joey Schulze
> wants to be paid, if debian will not loose its identity. Isn't it
> possible that release managers give their money to debian and Joey
> forgets his idea and that everybody lives in peace ? Or debian will just
> be a distro for hurried administrators who do not want to pay too much ?
>
> please help me.

I have no inside information to give, just my thoughts. Debian has always been
(and I believe will always be) a volunteer organization, at least as far as
the debian devolopers and maintainers go.

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) dunc paid two release managers for a
month each in an attempt to get etch ready for release in December. That
didn't happen, but oh well.. etch is in great shape and will be released
soon, I'm running it now.

I thought Joey Schulze didn't want anything to do with dunc? That's just an
impression though, I have/will never discuss it with him.

I don't get involved with the whole dunc thing at all. I am just a user of
debian so I'm not going to get paid for that.. :) I lean toward wishing it
would go away because of the fairness issues around it. It's something the
debian developers need to deal with.