Re: Woody on 486 problem

Mirko Scurk wrote:
Hi!

I'm trying to install woody on Digital Venturis 466 486DX66, 540MB HDD,
20MB RAM, CD-ROM, S3 Turbo VGA 1MB and EtherWorks III ISA network adapter.

The first stage of install went fine but after installing lilo and
rebooting I never got prompt. There are many errors:

Read-only file system
nothing in /proc - not mounted?
lot of
/lb/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4 ...... cannot create .... Read-only file system
/lb/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4 ...... init_module: No such device

and finally

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

When I log to second virtual terminal I get message:
mesg: /dev/tty2: Read-only file system

Any sugestions, please?

I have installed a recent Debian (it's been a while, not sure if I used etch or not, maybe sarge, but definitely not woody), on an ALR 486 VEISA system and it ran fine. The biggest HW difference besides manufacturer and EISA bus is the memory. Mine has 48MB.

I'd suggest you see if you can increase the memory on your system.

Meanwhile, I'd also suggest doing a reinstall, if possible, wiping the disk by not preserving current partitioning.

I'm suggesting that you select the manual partitioning method (hoping that you have enough knowledge to deal with it ;-) because you may need to increase the size of the swap partition. I'm not sure if memory is the issue here (init respawning errors could be due to too little memory, but also could be due to the read-only filesystem, to problems with the tty interface to the VGA card, files not being found because of an install error, etc.) but increasing the swap may at least get you up and running. I have no idea what would work in this case. Your hard disk is small enough that too large a swap would make installation a problem. Perhaps something in the range from 64MB to 100MB would be a good choice?

The second thing I'd suggest is to install the minimal system. It's been long enough since I touched woody that I'm not sure if things looked the same then or not, but in sarge/etch, there's a 'task select' section during install that lets you choose some basic setups. By default, this selects the base system *and* desktop environment (Gnome/KDE/...). *Uncheck* the GUI desktop install (you can always add it back later). Just try to get a basic system installed and working.

Good luck ;)

Bob