Re: Update Manager absurdity?- (FOLLOW-UP)

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 12:03 -0600, Default User wrote:
> I am running Debian Etch-testing on an old i586 system with a 32-bit AMD
> K6-2 processor.  Update Manager just did its daily check, showing 22
> available updates.  Among them was libc6-amd64, which the description
> states is a 64-bit library "meant for AMD64 systems".

After installing the updates (including libc6-amd64), the system was
rebooted and *seems* to be running okay.  Whew!

Doing "sudo du -BKB /lib64" does indeed show 2793kB in /libc64. Yikes!

Doing "sudo dpkg -l  libc64*" returns: "No packages found matching
libc64*."  Since "sudo dpkg -l" returns a list of several hundred (at
least) packages, I am guessing that the libc64* qualifier would list
"64-bit" programs actually available to the system (and not just having
files present on a hard drive).  Or something like that.

I was absolutely stunned to learn that 64-bit code is made available to
a 32-bit system, even if it's not used.  I'm too old for all this
learning . . .