RE: dumb question about scons.....

> Well maybe you don't.  But I am not used compiling stuff that would
normally
> run on an i386 box in this way so I am a bit in the dark.  However if it
> works, I am going to try to make deb package file for it from scratch.
The
> software is called ASCEND and is a chemical engineering modelling progam.

> It has been released under the GPL I think.  The authors made some rpms
for
> it and say that you could use something called alien to convert the rpms
> into deb files.

The best thing is to just try it.  It might work on your first try.  If it
doesn't,
then you can post back with specific questions about problems you're having.

> But I am interested if I can to make deb package files for it from
scratch.
> If it worked I would be willing to offer them to be included as a new
> package in a future Debian release.  I don't know if people would want
this.
> When I looked in the documentation on building deb packages it seems to
> talk about gnu autoconf etc but scons.  I worried that the documentation
> might be out of date and maybe scons is actually used to make deb packages

> nowadays.....
>
> The documentation on the deb packages suggested that you had to become a
> debian maintainer before you would be allowed to put a package into the
> debian community officially......
>
> I was going to post something about this later.  But since you are
> encouraging me to contribute to the community so avidly then I might as
well
> post it now.  If I made a deb package could I send it to an existing
debian
> maintainer for review?

You don't HAVE to be a Debian Developer.  You can add packages to the
official
Debian repositories through a sponsor.  Or you can always have your own
unofficial repository.  See http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint for
more info.

-- Kevin