Re: old hardware, newer Debian [SOLVED]

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 05:35:59PM -0800, Mike McClain wrote:
> > Mike McClain <mike.mcclain@nowhere.net>:
> > >  I just installed sarge on a box I've happily been running woody on

Couldn't you just upgrade?

> > >  for 5 years and find I can't run X cause the Trident tvga 9800b

xorg might support the Trident tvga 9800b, but if its a critical
machine, (which seems unlikely cause you are running X), then search the
Internet to see if anyone is having trouble.

I have a "Cirrus Logic GD 7548" inbuilt video in this laptop, and the
upgrade from xfree86 to xorg broke X. Eventually I realised the xorg
driver didn't support the Cirrus Logic GD 7548 and worst of all, neither
did the vesa driver.

I noticed on debian-release a request to allow xserver-xorg-video-vesa
(1:1.3.0-1) to enter testing cause it "Fixes shadowfb."

I tried this new version, and yay X now works.
I honestly thought that I had come to the limits of Debian support for
old hardware.

> > >  chipset is no longer supported in the xserver-xfree86 v4.3.
> mike@deb31:~> dpkg -P xserver-xfree86
> mike@deb31:~> dpkg -i /CD/pool/main/x/xfree86v3/xserver-svga_3.3.6-44_i386.deb
>     /CD/pool/main/x/xfree86v3/xserver-common-v3_3.3.6-44_i386.deb
> mike@deb31:~> xf86config-v3
> mike@deb31:~> edit /etc/X11/XF86Config:
>     Clocks      25.17  28.32  44.90  36.00  57.28  65.03  50.34  40.00
> mike@deb31:~> startx > /var/log/X11messages 2>&1 &
>
> X starts with a resolution that has the tool bar off screen but
>     CtrlAlt+ a couple of times fixes that

What is the output of 'less /etc/X11/XF86Config | grep Modes'

--
Chris.
======