Re: A very simple documentation framework.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 06:20:24AM EST, Chris Lale wrote:
> cga2000 wrote:
> >So far my personal doc system amounts to a patchwork of notes and
> >cheat sheets in ascii files that I grep when I need to find some piece
> >of information or other.
> >
> >I would like to switch to something a little more ambitious where I
> >would be able to generate my docs in the usual popular formats, namely
> >pdf, html, ps, txt, and possibly dvi.
> >

> [...]
>
> GUI: LyX is a WYSIWYM front end to Latex.
>
> CLI: DocBook and Sgmltools-lite might meet some of your needs.
>
> For something really simple try Zim - a desktop wiki that stores content
> as text files and can export to HTML.

Thanks to all.

I won't have the time to review your solutions until the weekend -- with
President's Day we get three of them over here .. :-) ..

I have given it a bit more thought and eventually I will probably choose
a solution that is also "scalable".  What I mean by that is something
that can do the very simple things I tried to illustrate in my original
post .. but to which I can add more features as I go along.  I already
know how to do basic stuff in LaTeX and since it looks like there are
utilities to generate just about any format from .tex files .. I may
stick with that for now.  But I will also investigate the DocBook/xml
solution .. I have a feeling that these days, "XML" would look
considerably more attractive than LaTeX on my resumé ..  :-)

Thanks,

cga