Re: Memory Question

On 2007-02-13, Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

> Here's my question.  Why do the two different versions report different
> a different amount of memory?  The 32 bit version says I have a total of
> 886MB, where the 64-bit version says there is 1024MB.

I came across this recently when I upgraded my Ram from 0.5 to 1.5
gigs. In order to use 1GB or more RAM you have to have a kernel with
highmem support enabled. Perhaps your 32 bit installation doesn't have
this, while the 64-bit does. It's easily fixed, you need to figure out
which kernel image supports highmem on your architecture and install
that. For me, it meant switching from the 2.6.18-3-386 to the
2.6.18-3-686 kernel.

--
Regards,

Tyler Smit