ATI driver and kernel 2.6.19

I have a laptop with Ati Xpress 200 graphics (onboard) card. I am
trying to install the latest (8.33-6) driver from ati. Presently, I am
running debian testing with a self compiled kernel (2.6.19).

Everything goes well, debs are created and install without any problems.
But, when I try to modprobe fglrx, I get the following error:

Feb 13 06:54:40 kernel: [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma
buffers: 617 MBytes.
Feb 13 06:54:40 kernel: [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR*
firegl_stub_register failed
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.19-mas/misc/fglrx.ko):
Operation not permitted

Searching various fora indicates that many have the same problem; but no
clear solutions :-(

If anybody has solved this problem, can they give me some pointers?

Regards,

mas