aMSN-0.96-2.tcl84.x86.package on Etch

I have the webcam working on aMSN on Kubuntu 5.10, and FC5, and am trying to
get it working on Etch. Etch only had the 0.95 version of aMSN, and the
webcam doesn't want to work with it. On Kubuntu I dl'd the latest version of
aMSN 0.96-2.tcl84.x86.package, and this is installed using the autopackage
tool. After removing the current version of aMSN on Kubuntu I ran the amsn
shellscript which dl'd some stuff for autopackage, then proceeded to install
this version of aMSN, and it works ok on Kubuntu.

I've gone through the same procedure on Etch a few times, but have a problem.
Autopackage installs aMSN with no complaints, but when I try to start aMSN I
get get the bouncing mouse pointer, plus some harddrive activity, but no aMSN
on KDE's desktop.

Also, in my /home/user directory, and after trying to start aMSN, I now have
a .amsn directory, but it's missing a lot of files that are there in the
Kubuntu install. For example the config.xml file is missing, the gconf.xml
IIRC, and perhaps 4 or 5 other files.

Etch is totally up to date with another 91 packages, 252MB of updates last
night.

If anyones got this version of aMSN working on Etch, I'd be interested as to
how.

btw. Thinking that the dl of aMSN to Etch may be corrupted, I also copied the
one that I'd dl'd to Kubuntu to Etch, and tried that. there was no difference
in the downloaded bytes, and that one produces the same results.

Nigel.

Darned computers, or is it that I'm working with too many distros???