Re: Etch fails to load components from CD/DVD

See post at bottom, as per custom on this list.  I've also sent this to
the debian-user list, also per custom.  I subscribe to the list so you
don't have to send it to me directly.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 05:43:55PM +0000, redhat penguin wrote:
 On 2/12/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 02:29:59PM +0000, redhat penguin wrote:
> >> The ./pool/contrib/a/avifile-divx-plugin_0.7.44.20051021-
> >2.2+b1_i386.debfile
> >> failed the MD5 checksum verification.
> >> Can someone please tell me what i can do to fix this?>
> >
> >1.      Failed installation reports should be submitted as installation
> >        reports.  See the installation manual for how to do this.  They
> >        end up on debian-boot not debian-user.
> >
> >2.      Is this a daily-build or an RC1.  I think that RC1 images are
> >        now broken.
> >
> >3.      Did you md5sum verify the iso file before you burned it?
> >
>> It was one of the weekly-builds.
> How do i md5sum verify the iso>?

Your first step is to read and prefereably print out the installation
manual (see the debian.org web site).

Then you download the daily-build iso, probably the netinst.iso.  If you
see the MANIFEST file (reference: installation manual) one file will
be something like MD5SUMS.  Hopefully, whatever OS you're using to
download the iso file will be able to verify using the MD5SUMS file that
you downloaded a viable image.  If you tell us how you're doing this,
then someone on the list may be able to help.

Once you've got a good iso, then you burn it to CD.  Then you verify the
burn with whatever software you used to do the burn.

Once you've got this far, then you try an install and keep notes.
Whether you succeed or fail, submit an installation report (instructions
in the installation manual).  If the install failed, subscribe to
debian-boot list first and you will see your report come up there.
Suggestions will then be forthcoming on that list.

Sorry for the trouble you're having.  The actual burning of the cd and
checking MD5SUMS doesn't seem to be included in the installation manual.
Difficulty with documentation for newcomers and novices is a known
issue.  Some of us are working on it.

Good luck,

Doug.