Very Basic Help Needed

Hi,

I managed to download and successfully run the latest stable NetInstall
version last week-end, but now I'm having a very frustrating time finding
documentation on how to some pretty basic stuff.

I managed to find
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Samba_Linux/Windows_networking
which was sort of helpful ... unfortunately the documentation doesn't
explain what the various things are or how to get them running ... the GUI
desktop appears after I log in and I used the Action -> Run window to do the
"install samba etc" command, which I assume worked as I didn't get any error
messages ... then once I figured out how to log in as "root" by changing the
options ... as an aside why would the default be to NOT allow the "root"
user to log in?

Once I could log in as "root" then I managed to edit the /etc/inetd.conf to
remove the "#<off>#" in front of the "SWAT" entry at the bottom of the file
[I double-clicked on "Computer" then found the "/etc" folder and then
right-clicked the "inetd.conf" file to edit it] ...Once I re-booted the
machine the Windows machines on the network could see the Debian machine ...
Another aside - What is SWAT and why does it need to be turned on so Windows
machines can see the Debian machine?

I can't find "Samba" under the "Application" button as a program to run or
under the "Action" button as a known command to run? I'm assuming that this
will present a tree of the file folders and files so I can specify which
users or groups have access to specific folders? Is there no way to simply
"share" a folder and it's sub-folders with or without a password to all
users on the LAN regardless of their USER ID or do I have to create a User
for everyone using the LAN? The Newbie Doc mentioned above seems to indicate
that I have to make sure that I have passwords on the Windows machines that
are the same as those I need to create on the Debian machine. What happens
if I'm not using passwords on the Windows machines? Do I need to create
them? or can I just share the folder without passwords?

I haven't looked at trying to find drivers for my two printers yet, but in a
recent post I see someone mentioning running a "CUPS configuration wizard"
of some kind to setup the printers. Where would I find that under
"Applications" or "Actions"?

Any other suggestions for finding documentation for Newbies or any
recommendations for books that I might try to find at the library would be
appreciated.

Cheers,

Jan