Re: A very simple documentation framework.

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 06:11:58AM -0500, cga2000 wrote:
So far my personal doc system amounts to a patchwork of notes and
cheat sheets in ascii files that I grep when I need to find some piece
of information or other.

I would like to switch to something a little more ambitious where I
would be able to generate my docs in the usual popular formats, namely
pdf, html, ps, txt, and possibly dvi.

In terms of document structure, my needs are very basic:

This is the main title of my document 1. Chapter 1. 1.1 Paragraph 1. This is a list
    1. list item 1
    2. list item 2
    blurb blurb blurb blurb blurb blurb blurb ..
[snip standard technical report]
I am not concerned about typesetting .. the only requirement is that the
contents of tables and samples should materialize in a non-proportional
font in order to be legible.

My only other requirement is that this "documentation system" should not
require the implementation of complex gui tools.  I want to do it in vim
and use command line tools to generate the various formats.

Hi cga,

I asked something similar a couple of months ago and the concensus was
either LaTex or DocBook.

<snip>

I have been using LaTex for years because its use was easy after the IBM tools for printing docs.

I also use hyperlatex to create html pages with LaTex:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/tex/hyperlatex

Hugo