Re: Easier to Read Fonts

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 01:11:55PM -0500, Winston Smith wrote:
> To my chagrin, web pages are actually easier to read indirectly from
> my wife's Windows machine (when I connect to it by VNC from my Debian
> box) than directly on my Debian box. Her Firefox uses Times New Roman,
> which I believe is a true type font. On my Firefox I've tried Serif,
> Free Serif (slightly better), etc., but still no contest.

Thanks to everyone for suggesting I install msttcorefonts and ttf-*,
which I successfully did. I'm using Bitstream Vera Sans at the moment
and it is easier to read.

Still, doing head on comparisons like I described above with the same
nominal fonts, I notice a difference. It's most pronounced with bold and
italic letters. For example, my Arial bold capital 'c' looks jagged,
whereas my wife's looks smooth.  I tried xfstt and 'dpkg-reconfigure
x-ttcidfont-conf' with no change. The latter gives you a choice between
backends freetype and xtt -- I tried both.

I have png screenshots of 8k and 16k but didn't know if it would be useful
and permissible to attach them.

Thanks again for your help.

Win