Re: A very simple documentation framework.

"cga2000" <cga2000@optonline.net> wrote in message [🔎] 20070211111158.GA799@turki.gavron.org">news:[🔎] 20070211111158.GA799@turki.gavron.org...
So far my personal doc system amounts to a patchwork of notes and
cheat sheets in ascii files that I grep when I need to find some piece
of information or other.

I would like to switch to something a little more ambitious where I
would be able to generate my docs in the usual popular formats, namely
pdf, html, ps, txt, and possibly dvi.

[snip]

I am not concerned about typesetting .. the only requirement is that the
contents of tables and samples should materialize in a non-proportional
font in order to be legible.

My only other requirement is that this "documentation system" should not
require the implementation of complex gui tools.  I want to do it in vim
and use command line tools to generate the various formats.

Would anyone have any recommendations as to how I should proceed?

I'm pretty sure what you want is ReStructuredText.
It is developed for python.

It uses a syntax VERY similar to what you showed.
It does do proper formating. It is also designed such that
it is easy to read the original text files.

To avoid having email corrupt my example file I have posted it at
http://monoport.com/1758

The example file does not include the line number. If you try to copy the text
you will notice that the line numbers are not copied. That is correct.

Anyway, to view the example output, copy that file and
paste it into the text box on
http://www.hosting4u.cz/jbar/rest/rest.html
and push the render buton.

I think you will find that the HTML output is very nice
considering how simple the syntax is.

If you are interested I suggest reading
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html

Which will explain a few more features.

The main page to find more information is
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me off list.