Re: Easier to Read Fonts

On 2/11/07, Winston Smith <viloinuxist@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
To my chagrin, web pages are actually easier to read indirectly from
my wife's Windows machine (when I connect to it by VNC from my Debian
box) than directly on my Debian box. Her Firefox uses Times New Roman,
which I believe is a true type font. On my Firefox I've tried Serif,
Free Serif (slightly better), etc., but still no contest.

An 'apt-cache search' lead me to xfstt. Is that what I need? If so, where
do I get the actual fonts, especially Times New Roman?

That's probably the route to go but possibly truetype fonts will
already work without xfstt and you just need to install a fonts
package. The one with the microsoft fonts in it is called
msttcorefonts, at least that is an installer that will download and
install the fonts for you. It suggests installing x-ttcidfont-conf
which used to be necessary to configure them correctly. YMMV

If you're looking for more ttf font packages you can do an:
aptitude search ttf- (since most fonts start with ttf-)
or, interchangeably:
apt-cache search --names-only ttf-

ttf-freefont is usually good.

greets,