Re: sound problems on debian

Arvind Marathe wrote:

> Hi all,
> i just cannot get sound working on my machine. I have installed alsa and
> run alsaconf. But if i try 'speaker-test' or 'cat /dev/urandom >
> /dev/audio', i just don't get any sound. I have attached several outputs
> below so that somebody else might be able to figure out what is wrong.
> Anything i need to do?
>
> thanks and regards,
> Arvind
>
> ps: am not subscribed to the list so pls reply to my e-mail address

<snip>
Hi Arvind,
Sorry to be asking the obvious but... have you checked your mixer? Alsa is
notorious for its default muting behaviour. For example, the pcm setting
often starts off at zero and you have to manually raise it to a reasonable
level to hear sound. If you haven't checked, it may be worth a try.
Cheers,
Jonathan