Re: random quirkyness

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 22:33:16 -0600, Mike Myers wrote:
> On 2/9/07, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >
> >On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 11:14:55 -0600, Mike Myers wrote:

[...]

> >> My main question are these;
> >>
> >> Is there a way I can keep the nvidia driver installed so I don't have to
> >> reinstall it every reboot?
> >
> >With the Debian packages there should be no need to reinstall the nvidia
> >driver on every boot. You probably have some configuration problem or
> >maybe you used the nvidia installer script earlier and did not remove
> >its traces completely. For a start, please post the output of the
> >following 6 commands:

[ snip: nvidia kernel and glx packages installed; the important files
  are present ]

>  find /etc/rc?.d/ -type l -name \*nvidia\*
>
> (I think I see the problem here)
>
> /etc/rc0.d/K20nvidia-kernel
> /etc/rc0.d/K20nvidia-glx
> /etc/rc0.d/K20nvidia-glx-legacy

[ snip: the same for the other runlevels ]

>  find /etc/init.d/ -type f -name \*nvidia\*
>
> /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx-legacy
> /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx
> /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel

I think this is the problem: You had the nvidia-glx-legacy package (for
older cards) installed at some point. Then you removed it (or it was
removed automatically when you installed the nvidia-glx package) but its
startup script is still present. This seems to interfere with the
startup script of nvidia-glx. (These startup-scripts allow you to use
the nvidia driver with more than one kernel version; this is a
Debian-specific feature.)

This should be easily fixable by purging the nvidia-glx-legacy package.
Purging a package - as opposed to removing it - will also delete its
configuration files. (The startup script is considered a configuration
file because the user might want to customize it.)

You can run (as root)

dpkg -P nvidia-glx-legacy

Then you can check with "dpkg -l nvidia-glx-legacy" if the status of the
package is listed as "pn". Your system should be fine after that. (You
might have to reinstall nvidia-glx once more.)

(The output of the last command was OK, too: Your xorg nvidia module is
 where it should be.)

--
Regards,
          Florian