[Workaround] What is loading module pcspkr (inspite blacklist)?

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:33:21 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 20:38:06 -0800
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Andrei,
> > >
> > > No solution I'm afraid, just a "me too": this came up a little
> > > while back here as:
> > >
> > > etch : not loading some kernel modules howto ?
> > >
> > > No solution was posted at the time; it happens on my etch box too.
> > > I found a reference to pcspkr in /etc/udev/persistent-input.rules
> > > and commented it out; but that pesky module just won't stay down!
> >
> > for the truly inelegant solution, what if you just rename/move aside
> > that thing? surely will cause an error, but will it make the whole
> > system barf? doubt it.
>
> In the end I just did that, thinking I could get more clues from an
> error message. And guess what, no error messages! Now that's
> strange...

I filled a bug with module-init-tools. I got a prompt reply from the
maintainer (who also closed my bug) to see bug #407256 for more info.
Apparently it's an upstream kernel bug.

A proper Debian Way (tm) to solve this would be to add:

	install pcspkr /bin/true

to a /etc/modprobe.d/00local file. This makes it consistent across
upgrades, as opposed to the renaming solution.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)