Re: WindowMaker upgrade

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:33:33PM EST, Tom Allison wrote:
> Well, I did it again.  I upgraded windowmaker on testing and a bunch of
> stuff is all screwed up.
>
> Somewhere I had a setting to rotate windows on ALT+TAB but not only does
> this not work, I can't even find the settings to fix it anymore.
>
> What happened to my settings (again)?

. Look for saved/renamed copies of your old wmaker config files ..
possible in the ~/GNUstep/ tree.

  These are the files you should be looking for:

	WindowMaker
	WMRootMenu
	WMSound         (optional)
	WMState
	WMWindowAttributes
	WPrefs

. If the upgrade did not save the old files, restore them from a backup
... ~/GNUstep/Defaults should be where you should be looking for them.

. Always have backups of ~/GNUstep/Defaults handy.  I have found wmaker
to be rock-solid over the years but it does have a "tendency" to wipe
out its config files once in a while.  It happened to me a couple of
times after a brutal exit from my X session .. and that's how I got sick
or re-configuring from scratch.

And guess what .. now that I have an easy-to-locate backup of these
file in ~/GNUstep/Defaults-Backup/ .. I haven't had a problem this last
couple of years .. Go figure .. :-)

In any event, I was under the impression that debian never touched
anything in your home directory .. so I have a feeling this may not be
directly related to your upgrade ..

HTH

cga