bash_hystory behavior

hi to the list!

i am just upgrading lot of packages from testing and i experienced following problem:

since yesterday, if i use the "arrow-up" key, the commands on the prompt will change corresponding to my .bash_history file. but after i press the arrow-up key about 20 - 30 times (it is not always the same), the cursor springs one line up on my screen! than pressing the same key a bout 10 times more, the commands will still change, but than the cursor moves even one more time up in the screen!
if i press enter than, the command will be processed normally.

i think it is not easy to explain/understand!

if you have a place, tell me where i can put some screenshots of this!

i hope that someone can imagine, what package it could be related too, and what should be "repaired" here?

i am not using gdm or sth simular, so if i don´t start X, on the promt this issue does not appears, so it happens as soon i start xinit.

i think that i have to say, that this is an "old-demudi" box, but there are only few demudi-packages left here!

so, i ll wait for some feedback,

cheers,
doc