Re: How can I install a system whose locale is utf-8 compatible

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:44:36AM +0200, Mehmet Fatih Akbulut wrote:
> $ apt-get install locales
> $ dpkg-reconfigure locales
>
> then select your desired language with utf-8 extension.
> and finally hit the enter.
>

> On 2/7/07, wrote:
>

>       When choosing language and region, I choose China, but I want the
>      system to support utf-8 because it is said to be easy to configure
>      some software. How can I do?
>

>      =====================================================================

The default from Sarge was ISO-8859-1 but Etch's default is utf-8.

But as was mentioned, you can reconfigure your system locales.
locales describe a set composed of your location, language and language encoding:
ru_RU.KOI8-R
means Russian in Russia using KOI8-R encoding

Here CN is China, HK is Hong Kong and TW is Tiwan. big5 is for 'big 5
encoding'.

zh_CN.gb18030
zh_CN.gbk
zh_CN.UTF-8
zh_HK.big5
zh_HK.UTF-8
zh_TW.big5
zh_TW.UTF-8

You may want 'zh_CN.UTF-8'. There is also the choice between simplified
chinese and traditional chinese.

If you want to use input Chinese, you will also need to add support for
a chinese-compatible input method.
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |