Re: Locale setting different for root and user

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 11:27:04PM -0500, Stephen wrote:
> [...]
> 	$ locale
> [...]
> 	LANG=en_CA.ISO-8859-1
> [...]
>
> 	# locale
> 	LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
> [...]
>
> Why the difference, and what do I change to fix it?

Hi Stephen,

maybe it is set in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile. You can find out
by running:

	$ cat ~/.bashrc ~/.bash_profile | grep "LANG="

I suspect this will return a line like this:

	export LANG=en_CA.ISO-8859-1

If so, you need to find out whether it is in ~/.bashrc or
~/.bash_profile and change it to:

	export LANG=en_CA.UTF-8

Anyway adding this last line to one of those two files should solve
your problem. You will have to logout and login again to make the
changes take effect.

Regards
Marcus