Re: Removing Unused Programs

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 03:43:20PM -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> [...]
> By this I mean, if I install progA it asks me to install libA, libB,
> progC, and depenF. Now when I apt-get remove progA, it will just remove
> progA. I would like to remove progC and depenF as well, without removing
> unused libraries (Since libraries don't bother me, and may interfere
> with the programs I've installed from source).
> [...]

This is why I use aptitude. One can use it with nearly exact the same
options as apt-get on the command line. Also it is the officially
prefered package management tool since the release of Sarge.

From the release notes [0]:

  "2.1 What's new in the distribution?
	[...]
	The sarge version of aptitude is the preferred program for package
	management from console. It has proven to be better at dependency
	resolution than apt-get. aptitude supports most command line
	operations of apt-get. If you are still using dselect, you should
	also give aptitude a try as frontend for package management.
	[...]"

Anyway, if you want to stick with apt-get so be it. But AFAIK there's
no way to let apt-get also remove the dependencies. You have to do
that manually. I guess that's why such packages like deborphan and
debfoster exist. I prefered debfoster back then.

Regards
Marcus

[0] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.html