Re: generate RAM disk

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 11:10:06AM +0100, Christian Christmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to modify the default Etch kernel-2.6.18-3-SMP by
> adding the option highmem > 4 GB.

the default in that kernel is CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y, are you saying you want
more? dang, lucky. So you want to enable CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y.

> In the default kernel,
> this option is disabled. So, my idea was to download the
> original kernel sources from kernel.org for the same version.

okay, but why not just use the source from debian and modify that one
config? The debian kernels contain patches that are not in the vanilla kernel.

> Then, get the config file from /boot of the Etch kernel and
> use it to build the kernel from sources with the slight
> difference that I enable the highmem option I need.
> However, when installing a kernel with "aptitude", Debian
> generates a RAM disk.

its called an initrd for initial-RAM-disk and it contains a complete
filesystem with what is needed to get the kernel booted using modular drivers.

> So, obviously, I also need to have
> that RAM disk for the kernel I build from sources.

yes, unless you get into the config and compile in the stuff you need
to boot without one.

> Is there any way to generate the same RAM disk as done
> by Etch but based on the sources I used to build my kernel?

I *believe* that when you build a kernel package .deb and use dpkg to
install it the initrd is generated automatically. If its not, then you
use

mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.18-3-<arch>-SMP 2.6.18-3-<arch>

and stick the results in /boot. don't forget to update grub or lilo as
appropriate.

I suggest you read one of the debian kernel how-to's...