Re: How to switch to text mode

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:44:33PM +0800, myusernet wrote:
> I am running xfce4 but I want to boot the system to console instead
of gui. What am I supposed to do?

While all the others have provided you with various
solutions... here's the easy one... ;-P

There is a command -- update-rc.d -- that controls these things. If
you have a service starting at boot that you want to prevent from
starting use the following as root:

update-rc.d <service> remove

it may warn you to use -f to force it in which case:

update-rc.d -f <service> remove

In your case, if you're using gdm:

update-rc.d -f gdm remove

this will remove all the symlinks to gdm in all the runlevels so that
gdm will not start at boot-up. If you want to put it back later:

update-rc.d gdm defaults

please see man update-rc.d for details.