Re: First impressions of Etch and trying to get vmware server to run (amd64)

Paul Walsh wrote:
Background:

The PC I use at work (Intel D945GCZL motherboard, Intel BTX P4, SATA2 HDD) has, until yesterday, been running SUSE 10.1
or openSUSE 10.2 (depending what mood I'm in).  I'd successfully installed vmware server 1.0.1 on each version so that I
could run a windoze XP VM (sadly, practically everything here is a product of Redmond!).

>From the start I'd really wanted Debian on as I'd become somewhat used to it on other systems (though I still have
difficulty locating some things in the menus). I'd previously tried to install Sarge (32bit and 64bit) but neither saw
the SATA drive nor onboard NIC.  Yesterday I got round to installing Etch which happily saw the NIC and HDD and
installed almost flawlessly. I say "almost" because there I was using the GUI install for the first time and I thought
I'd switch console using CTRL-ALT-Fn which promptly caused an error (sorry, no details to hand - I simply restarted and
avoided that key combo!) Also, grub failed to install, so I ended up manually editing menu.lst on /dev/sda1 (the
openSUSE 10.2 partition where grub is installed)

Once I'd got the system up and running I needed to get dual-head display sorted out (Sapphire ATI Radeon X550 with 2 x
19" AMW M199D displays) which I eventually managed by taking Monitor, Modes, Screen, Device and ServerLayout sections
from the xorg.conf used by SUSE and removing anything that seemed SUSE related (SAX2 stuff).

Finally I was ready to give vmware a shot and that's where I'm hitting a brick wall.

First off, uname -a gives the following:

Linux etchtest 2.6.17-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 17:49:33 CEST 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

when I try running /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl it complains about libraries:

The correct version of one or more libraries needed to run VMware Server may be
missing.  This is the output of ldd /usr/bin/vmware:
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7f4a000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7f46000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7f35000)
        libX11.so.6 => not found
        libXtst.so.6 => not found
        libXext.so.6 => not found
        libXt.so.6 => not found
        libICE.so.6 => not found
        libSM.so.6 => not found
        libXrender.so.1 => not found
        libz.so.1 => not found
        libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7e08000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7f81000)

This program cannot tell for sure, but you may need to upgrade libc5 to glibc
before you can run VMware Server.

Trouble is, ldconfig -p has no trouble locating the libraries:
ldconfig -p
*snip*

        libX11.so.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6
        libXtst.so.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libXtst.so.6
etc.

Is this a 64bit vs 32bit problem?  Has anyone successfully got vmware server running under 64bit Etch? If so, any
suggestions would be gratefully received! :)

Apart from the vmware problems everything seems to be OK so far.  I'm not sure whether it's psychological but Etch does
seem to start up quicker than Suse :-)

I did a amd64 etch install two days ago. There was an issue with vmware, but different from yours. Mine installed ok, but when running vmware-config.pl it complained about linux headers, which i did have ok. Look at a thread called 'vmware on newer kernels (was debian rocks!)', or something like this. Nice ppl from this list pointed me to a patch which solved, so now vmware does ok. And its the vmware server version. Etch is very likely to start quicker than suse. I had this impression when i first installed woody, compared to suse 8.2 that I was using. Its a nice system, though a little bloated.