Re: Booting Debian/testing fails

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 20:21:49 +1300
mockingbird@ihug.co.nz (Chris Bannister) wrote:

> For example, I prefer to set up my system the way I want to, I don't
> want a GUI whereas a newbie doesn't understand a computer without one.
> Already you have a conflict.

But an advanced user/DD would know how to install expert-mode. I think
the main idea is that the default install should be as simple as
possible, while with a simple 'expert' at boot you could still have
full customizing power.

> > So does this mean that the Debian community, while helpful to
> > newbies that know enough how to ask a question, would be happier if
> > newbies who don't just went to one of those projects instead?
>
> We *are* the Debian community. Some would, some wouldn't, some don't
> care, IOW there is no specific community viewpoint and probably never
> will be.
>
> If someone doesn't know how to ask a question then *any* project will
> have difficulty helping them. This is probably the Catch-22.

This is mostly true, but 90% of the questions are quite repetitive. We
should use that to improve our docs, d-i, ...

> > If this is the case, we should still have the big button but say
> > so.  Or have links to those projects as suggestions among others.
> > I think that such a simple thing would go a long way to making the
> > debian website more newbie friendly.  Similar to notice at the head
> > of a difficult trail warning that inexperienced hikers are more
> > likely to fall off a cliff.  Help is available to get you out but
> > it could take a week.
>
> If you suggest it, and someone who has the authority to action it,
> likes the idea then it may happen, but I'm guessing it has probably
> been suggested before and either good reasons were issued about why
> it wasn't a good idea or there was no one interested in implementing
> it. I could be completely wrong though.
>
> There are sites geared to helping newbies: linuxquestions.org,
> tldp.org.

Not Debian specific. It might even be worse to steer them that
way, as they would only get frustrated about the differences and
inconsistencies.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)