Re: howto build debian xen kernel?

Jonas Meurer wrote:
Hello,

I just tried to build a debian xen kernel, based on linux-source-2.6.18,
linux-patch-debian-2.6.18 and kernel-package.

According to the docs i found, i can apply the debian kernel sources in
the following way:

resivo:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18$ ../kernel-patches/all/2.6.18/apply/debian 2.6.18-10

unfortunately, the xen (and vserver) patches are not in the default
patchset, but in an extra 'series'. so i thought that the following
should work:

resivo:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18$ ../kernel-patches/all/2.6.18/apply/debian 2.6.18-10-extra
Error: Target revision is not in our list of revisions

obviously, it doesn't.

So my simple question is: how do i build a debian xen kernel with
make-kpkg from debian kernel sources?

The official debian kernel images don't use make-kpkg, so it wouldn't
help to look in debian/rules from linux-2.6.

I didn't find any documentation about that topic. All howtos/tutorials/...
that talk about building a xen kernel, use the original xen kernel
sources, not the debian kernel source with patches.

greetings,
 jonas

You may have some need to compile your own kernel, but if you'd be fine with a pre-made vanilla Debian kernel, you can just install the appropriate Xen package. The right one will drop a working Xen kernel in your /boot directory. As I recall, you'll have to edit your GRUB menu.lst file and make an initrd with update-initramfs afterwards. I think you want to pick one of the packages that starts with "xen-hypervisor". There's a few of them.

I hope this might save you some trouble.

- GM