Re: system freezes with Matrox G400 and GLX

Użytkownik Jonas Meurer <jonas@freesources.org> napisał:
>Hello,
>
>I use a Matrox G400 DH as graphics controller, and i run debian/unstable
>on an amd64 system.
>
>Unfortunately this leads to system freezes when i try to use 3d
>rendering (GLX).
>
>Some examples which do always freeze my system are xmms visualisations,
>tuxkart and mixxx.
>
>Do you have any suggestions where to start debugging? Is this a glx/mesa
>bug, or a kernel mga driver bug, or a hardware problem?

I had a Matrox Millenium G400 and many problems with this card...
I don't remember it system freezes were among them, but what can I say
about them is that they were caused by the buggy kernel mga module
(which doesn't even support all features of the chip, eg. the chip has 3
texturing units but the module gives access only to 2 of them).
And I am 90% sure that it is the module's problem (only 90 because I don't
know if the module wasn't fixed as I've changed the gfx card half a year
ago).

Tomek