Re: Kernel 2.6.17

On Sunday 04 February 2007 18:54, Marcus Blumhagen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 05:51:28PM +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I have a question though. I have a 2.6.17 kernel in
> > /var/cache/apt/archives. This was from the archives I copied from my
> > other Etch install. Synaptic now only shows a 2.6.18 kernel available,
> > and I saw someone had a problem with that, and Grub. I'm using LiLo, so
> > perhaps the problem won't occur, but is there a way to install the 2.6.17
> > one that I have in /var/cache/apt archives. I should probably know the
> > answer, but am not sure.
>
> First of all congratulations for your successful upgrade.
>
> That being said, you can install the 2.6.17 kernel by using dpkg:
>
>  # dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/<linux-image>.deb
>

> Regards
> Marcus

Thanks for that Marcus. The kernel installed ok, but I couldn't boot either it
or the 2.6.8 one after installing the 2.6.17 one. The 2.4.27 one booted up ok
though. It was late, and I wasn't sure what the problem was. Lilo complained
when running lilo, that it couldn't find any files for 2.6.8, or 2.6.17. Ok I
thought. 2.6.17 is on the system, so I'll install the 2.6.18 one as well. Set
the download up (on dialup), and went to bed.

Feeling a bit more up to speed this morning I realised what the problem was. A
problem I'd had before when adding kernels to Debian systems. It was those
darned soflinks in / for vmlinuz, and initrd.img.

Changing the initrd lines in /etc/lilo.conf for the 2.6.8, and 2.6.17 kernels
from.
initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.8-3-386
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-3-386
And the same for the 2.6.17 one.

Back to the 2.6.18 kernel that I set to download, and install last night. This
morning synaptic was complaining with a "post install script error 9". Don't
know what that is. Also I had no new entry in lilo for the 2.6.18 kernel
after running lilo. /boot showed an entry for vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686, but no
entry for it's initrd.img. I've rebooted since then, as I got the 2.6.8
kernel to boot again, and just looking now, I now have an initrd.img for the
2.6.18 kernel in /boot, but it's got a padlock on it, and the other
initrd.img's havn't.

I must say I have some concerns about even booting the 2.6.18 kernel,
presuming I could get it to boot.

On Fedora Core 5 I had no problems with the machine shutting down completely
with the 2.6.17 kernel, but the moment I booted with a 2.6.18 one, the
machine would no longer shutdown completely, and neither would the 2.6.17 one
anymore. the original 2.6.15 kernel still shutdown completely though. Using
"acpi=force as a kernel parameter when booting (that's using Grub) resolves
the problem

I've read of a similar bug amongst the debian bugs. Not sure if it was to do
with the 2.6.18 kernel, but there was a fix there.

I'm going to hold off on booting the 2.6.18 kernel for the moment. I'm trying
to find 2.6.17 versions for a new install of FC5, so that I can confirm that
the machine shutsdown completely using them. Then it's a case of trying to
find out what system wide changes booting a 2.6.18 kernel makes, which stops
stuff working, and when rebooting to the earlier kernel, stuff that did work
no longer does. It's not just the shutdown problem. I saw another post about,
either networking, or sound not working when booting a 2.6.18. It had worked
before with an earlier kernel, but now booting from the earlier kernel the
networking/sound now fails to work.

Sorry about rambling on about FC. this was supposed to be about my upgrade
from Sarge to Etch.

Nigel.