Re: Booting Debian/testing fails

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 05:51:34PM +0000, Nick Boyce wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 11:13:50AM -0500, Terrence Brannon wrote:
> >
> >> Well, from a user-level point of view, I have no interest in extended
> >> tinkering. If Gentoo did it right out of the box, why couldn't debian?
> >>
> >> It's a shame because most of hte books at the bookstore are on debian
> >> linux. But I can't afford any more time on something that
> >> blankety-blank simple.
> >>
> >> Don't reply to this. I'm blocking out this list from now on.
> >
> > I'm curious. I've thought back over this thread and can't recall
> > (without digging through the archives) what happened here that might
> > have provoked this sort of response.
>
> I think I entirely understand the OP's frustration & response - he wants
> his operating system to Just Work (and so do I), and hasn't got the time
> or the inclination to continually have to dive into the bowels of the OS
> setup every time he buys an external USB drive (or something) and finds
> his PC will no longer boot.
>
> He doesn't want *documentation* - he just wants the software to *work*
> ... and why shouldn't he want that ?
>
> Failure to install the boot-loader, while actually reporting "success"
> (or failing to report "failure") is unforgivable.

I agree with what you've written. I was refering, though, to his very
(seems to me) angry "I'm blocking out this list...". I can understand
that OP is frustrated, but he has (in theory) invested nothing more
than time in this adventure and it didn't work out for
him. Okay. Fine. But his statement makes it appear that it is our
(debian-user) fault that he can get his system to work and he is
punishing us by dropping the list. Its just all very odd to me. And it
seems like its been happening more and more. I guess, though, that we
are the only ones he can take it out on.

.02